The Children with Medical Handicaps Program (CMH) is a health care program in the Ohio Department of Health (ODH). CMH links families of children with special health care needs to a network of quality providers and helps families obtain payment for the services their children need.
CMH’s mission is to assure, through the development and support of high quality, coordinated systems, that children with special health care needs and their families obtain comprehensive care and services that are family centered, community based and culturally sensitive.
CMH is a state-administered program that operates within ODH. CMH receives funding for services from the federal Maternal and Child Health Block Grant, state general revenue funds, county tax funds, third-party reimbursements and donations. CMH promotes early identification of children with handicapping conditions and treatment of those children by appropriate health care providers.
Eligibility: Children under the age of 21, who are residents of Ohio are under the care of a CMH approved physician and have a chronic, physically handicapping condition are eligible.
Major components of the program include:
- conducting quality assurance activities to establish standards of care and to determine unmet needs of children with handicaps and their families
- funding services for the diagnosis and treatment of medically eligible conditions
- collaborating with public health nurses and local health departments to assist in increasing access to care
- supporting service coordination for children with selected diagnoses
- assisting families to access and utilize appropriate sources of payment for services for their child
For further information click: http://www.odh.ohio.gov/odhPrograms/cmh/cwmh/bcmh1.aspx
- Purchase of hearing aids, batteries, and personal communication devices
- Surgery, specialized glasses and patches for some vision disorders
- Medical equipment maintenance and repair
- Medical therapies needed during the summer months or after a surgical procedure
- Medical equipment including such items as wheelchairs, braces, IV or feeding pumps, special prescription shoes
- Supplies for special procedures done in schools
- Glucometers for diabetic children
- Inhalers for children with severe asthma
- Medications for children with seizure disorders and many other diagnoses
Find a Provider
Visit the Ohio Department of Health website below to find CMH resources in Lake County:
Your local health department nurse is your best contact for CMH services or information.
Call 440-350-2248 for CMH services.
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm