Prevent, Promote, and Protect your Health with the Lake County General Health District
(440) 350-2543
5966 Heisley Rd
Mentor, Ohio 44060
November 22, 2016
Off

November 22, 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                            CONTACT: Bert Mechenbier (440) 350-2543

November 22, 2016                                                                              LAKE COUNTY GENERAL HEALTH DISTRICT    

 PROTECT YOURSELF FROM CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

Every year, more than 500 people die from accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. As we move into colder weather, Lake County General Health District is reminding everyone to protect themselves from sources of carbon monoxide poisoning that are more commonly in use this time of year.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death if you breathe it.   CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by furnaces, water heaters, small gasoline engines, stoves, generators, lanterns and gas ranges, or by burning charcoal and wood. People and animals in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces with these items can be poisoned and die from breathing in CO.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms. If you think you may have CO poisoning, call your doctor right away.

To prevent CO poisoning:

  • DO have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician each year.
  • DO have at least one working carbon monoxide detector (They make great gifts!). Check the detector’s batteries twice annually, at the same time smoke detector batteries are checked. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911. Also, check the end of life date on the detector; it may need to be replaced.
  • DO seek medical attention if you think you have CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, lightheaded or nauseous.
    Do NOT use generators, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning products inside a home, basement, garage, camper, or even outside near an open window. This is especially important to remember during a power outage.
    Do NOT warm up or run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the garage door open. Make sure to shut off vehicles when parking in a garage.
  • Do NOT burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Do NOT heat your house with a gas oven.

 

For more information on CO poisoning, call the Lake County General Health District at (440) 350-2543 or visit our website at https://www.lcghd.org/?page_id=3722

###

Marianne Rusnak
About the Author